I was going to hold off on posting today until after I got finished going through my email and news feeds, but I decided there’s one bit of news that simply can’t wait. That’s right, Virginia, Mac4Lin 1.0 has finally been released!
We’ve been waiting for a while, but I think you’ll find it worth waiting for with all these improvements:
- Fully supports GNOME 2.26 and backwards compatible
- Improved support for GlobalMenu, support integrated in the default GTK theme
- Better native Xfce support
- Icon additions
- Statusbar is now fixed
- New progress bars
- New tabs
- Improved installation and uninstallation scripts
- Integrates well with Gloobus
- Finer UI refinements
- Metacity theme now supports different button sizes
- Firefox 3 themes are now updated
- Songbird plugins included
- Pidgin AWN 64bit plugin now included
- Fonts are now consolidated
- Transparent top panel
- GDM theme is now in-line with Mac OS X login window
- Cairo dock is the default recommended dock
The docs aren’t included in the release but we should have that posted in the next day or two, if not by the end of today. We ended up having one section of the docs added at the last minute and we’re simply needing to make sure it doesn’t need changing before we generate the PDF version.
There are a few known issues (in addition to the missing docs).
- There is an issue with how the installation script installs the Emerald themes. You will have to install them manually until we can get that fixed.
- The wallpapers aren’t showing up due to a permissions issue. It should be an easy fix for us and we’ll include them in the update already being planned. Until then you can always add them by hand from the Wallpapers folder where you extracted the .tar.gz.
- Usplash is still buggy (I hope to have that fixed today)
- Thunderbird theme is still buggy
- GDM theme is not automatically set by the script (this seems to be a GNOME limitation rather than a Mac4Lin issue)
There is one other thing that I just saw: The uninstall script will not actually remove your installed files. This is due to an issue in the bash script itself that we’re still having to deal with so we’ve disabled it for the time being.
Check out some screenshots on the official announcement, and if you run into any issues we haven’t covered in the documentation feel free to post them in our Ubuntu Forums support thread. Just please don’t post that there aren’t any instructions. We’ve already said we’re working on that.
Mac4Lin is a finalist!
Anirudh had some great news for us this week. You may remember that last month I shared with everyone that Mac4Lin was getting nominated for the 2009 edition of the SourceForge Community Choice Awards. Now we’ve learned that Mac4Lin was selected as one of the finalists, and it looks like the final voting should start around the 22nd. I’ll let you know when the voting is open.